POETRY IN ACTION INC. ANNUAL REPORTS
At its heart PIA is about actors dynamically bringing language to life through performance and sharing that experience with young audiences. Over the years we have seen Poetry in Action build on its previously established successes as we engaged with our goals to entertain, educate and challenge our audiences. Our mission is to:
- Redefine poetry as a performance medium and aid in the creation of a country of informed, articulate, creative thinkers and speakers.
- Become the peak national organisaton for the performance and advocacy of poetry.
- Create a world where the making and speaking of poetry is part of the every day and able to be enjoyed by all.
In 2015 we have expand the reach of our schools program and now tour to all states and territories in the country, as well as solidifying our presence in greater Sydney & regional NSW. Our creative potential is constantly increasing with stronger engagement with the arts community and different artists who help to collaborate on our programs and seasons.
With our commitment to language and education, our programs keep expanding from beyond the school room. In 2014 we commenced a series of workshops in remote NT, where our sustained outreach will bring more creativity to children in remote communities.
BOARD AND GOVERNANCE
Poetry In Action aims to follow all good practices of governance as set out by the Australian Charities & Not-For-Profits Commission and Australia Council’s Performing Arts Board:
1. Lay solid foundations for management and oversight
2. Structure the board to add value
3. Promote ethical and responsible decision-making
4. Safeguard integrity in financial reporting
5. Recognise and manage risk
6. Encourage enhanced performance
Poetry In Action board and directors present these financial reports on the entity reporting on calendar years.
The principal activity of the entity during the financial year was the touring and presentation of theatrical education productions and learning program.
No significant changes in the nature of the Organisations activity occurred during the financial year.
The lead auditor’s independence declaration is presented here along with our annual financial statements: